History preserved: WWI service banner, rediscovered decades ago, now hangs in Relay Town Hall

In the first World War, 57 men from Relay, St. Denis and Avalon fought overseas, their service honored in their small southwestern Baltimore County communities by women who stitched cotton stars to a wool service banner. There were 54 blue stars for those who returned and three white stars for the men who died in battle. The Relay banner was fashioned after the signing of the armistice in November 1918 that ended wartime hostility between Allied and German-led combatants, and displayed in the then-Relay Library, now the Relay Town Hall. (Balt Sun)
Read Full Article