Towson Teacher Injured In Boston Marathon Returns One Year After Bombings

A local teacher severely injured in the Boston Marathon bombings returns to the city where her life tragically changed. Erika Brannock and her family are in Boston now for the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings. When the bombs exploded, the Towson teacher was cheering on her mom at the finish line. Her injuries were so severe she lost part of her left leg. One year later, she’s back where it all happened. (WJZ-TV)

Read Full Article

St. Mary's schools' finance director retires early

Greg Nourse, assistant superintendent of fiscal services and human resources for St. Mary’s County public schools, retired Wednesday, he said, to tend to his ailing father. “My dad’s going into comfort care, the last stage before hospice,” Nourse said, and he and his family are assisting their mother through the process in Pennsylvania. Nourse’s retirement comes just after the public school system revealed this month an operating budget deficit of around $6 million, which school officials said stemmed from increases in health care costs, special education and expenses related to a cold, snowy winter. (Enterprise/Gazette) 

Read Full Article

Calverton student Price named National Achievement Scholar

A Calverton student has joined the ranks of other young black American high achievers who have gone on to be deans and university professors, a U.S. ambassador and a NASA astronaut. Luladay Megan Price, 17, was awarded as a National Achievement Scholar on Tuesday. The Calverton School senior is one of 800 finalists nationwide to receive the honor. (Gazette)

Read Full Article

Parents’ suit against football helmet maker can proceed

A Montgomery County judge this week declined to dismiss charges against a helmet manufacturer in a case brought by the parents of a Frostburg State University football player who died of head injuries in August 2011 following four straight days of heavy contact drills in practice. The parents of Derek Sheely, who was 22 when he died, sued the NCAA, Frostburg’s then-head football coach Thomas Rogish, an assistant coach and an assistant athletic trainer, and several companies that manufacture and distribute helmets. Kristen and Kenneth Sheely, of Germantown, allege negligence by university officials and the NCAA, and negligent misrepresentation, among other charges, by helmet manufacturers and distributors. (CNS/Daily Record) 

Read Full Article

April 17 // Educators preparing students for redesigned SAT

The new SAT is still a couple of years out from implementation, but The College Board is giving students a sneak peek at what to expect. The redesigned test will be shorter and will not put as much emphasis on having to write an essay. Students at Mount St. Joseph High School will be among the first to give the redesigned exam a test run in the spring of 2016. The redesigned exam will be scored on the old 1600-point scale and last about three hours. Students will be allowed to take the test on paper or on a computer. Administrators said many of the changes were way overdue. (WBAL-TV)

Read Full Article

FCC presidential finalists to visit campus

Three presidential finalists will visit Frederick Community College next week to meet the campus community as the school’s search for its second leader in as many years nears its end. Candidates for the school’s top office include Elizabeth Burmaster, president of Nicolet College in Wisconsin; James Mabry, vice president of Mesa Community College in Arizona; and Christopher Reber, executive dean of Venango College at Clarion University in Pennsylvania. (News-Post)

Read Full Article

Howard educators pass on a curve in Gallup poll

Educators and employees in Howard County schools are slightly more engaged than employees nationwide, according to the results of a Gallup poll released last week, even though more than 60 percent didn't meet that standard. Tim Hodges, director of research for Gallup, Inc., presented the results of a baseline engagement survey of students and employees to the Board of Education last week. (Patuxent)

Read Full Article

FCPS to shoulder more open-campus costs

High school students enrolling in “open campus” courses at Frederick Community College will receive a tuition rate of $85.50 per credit starting July 1, after the college’s board of trustees approved the program’s fiscal 2015 tuition schedule at its monthly meeting Wednesday. Public high school students will pay 90 percent of that price, or $76.95 per credit, while Frederick County Public Schools will cover the remaining 10 percent, or $8.55. The school system covers the full cost for students in the free and reduced-price meals program. (News-Post)

Read Full Article