Pittman: Three steps we’ve taken to address gun violence as a public health crisis

Doctors and hospitals tell us that they can only impact about 20% of health outcomes. The other 80% depends on things like diet, exercise, education, housing, transportation, clean air, economic status, auto safety, and firearm safety. (Cap. Gazette)

Read Full Article

McMillan: Is raising taxes in Annapolis courageous or cowardly?

Lately, some in the media, as well as a few politicians, have suggested that raising taxes is courageous. Is it? Not if we apply the Reverend Ballou’s standard of courage to Anne Arundel’s tax and spend twins, County Executive Steuart Pittman and Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley. Prior to the 2018 election, Pittman said he, “believed he could fund his initiatives without additional revenues (taxes.)” Pittman also said he, “supported a tax cap for now because the economy is strong, “and that he, “wouldn’t raise the rain tax on homeowners and businesses.” (Cap. Gazatte)

Read Full Article

Greszler: It’s time for Maryland to stop criminalizing kids’ lemonade stands

It’s hard to find fault with a kids’ lemonade stand. In fact, I can’t help but smile when I see one. But in some places, it is literally a crime to operate a lemonade stand on your own property unless you’ve first gotten all the required government licenses and permits. Same thing if you’re thinking about selling hot chocolate or any other beverage. (Wash. Post)

Read Full Article

Editorial: Infant lifetime care trust offers partial solution to latest malpractice crisis

The decision last year of a Baltimore jury to award $229.6 million in connection with a baby who suffered brain injury during birth at Johns Hopkins Bayview continues to have serious ramifications for Maryland’s health care providers. The extraordinary award, about five times what the plaintiff’s attorney had originally sought, was subsequently reduced, but it still exceeds $200 million. Now, hospitals including Johns Hopkins are struggling to cover malpractice insurance costs that have risen dramatically as a result. (Balt. Sun)

Read Full Article

Rahman: Boxing saved my life and could give other young men an option other than crime

For as long as I can remember, I have been a fighter. Like many young men of Baltimore, I rarely, if ever witnessed hope for material success outside of a criminal lifestyle. And, like many young men of my city, I wanted a “successful” life and embraced the sort of lifestyle that was destined for one of two places — the penitentiary or the cemetery. (Balt. Sun)

Read Full Article

Editorial: Don’t suspend driver’s licenses for inability to pay

Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh recently expressed his support for legislation being introduced during this year’s General Assembly session that would end the Central Collections Unit’s ability to suspend a driver’s license when a person is unable to pay his or her traffic fines through the Motor Vehicle Administration.  (Daily Record)

Read Full Article

Gorrell: Steny Hoyer and the ‘Serial Gerrymander’

The Redistricting Reform Act of 2020 (Senate Bill 284, introduced at the request of Gov. Larry Hogan) is scheduled to be heard before the Senate Committee of Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs on Thursday at 1 p.m. A companion bill, House Bill 346, will be heard later in the House Committee of Rules and Executive Nominations. (Md. Matters)

Read Full Article

Brown: Opening Doors to Democracy in Prince George’s

Democracy in Prince George’s County depends on increasing access to power outside the tightly-held approval pipeline of the county’s large donor class and elected leaders. The last thing ordinary folks need is to let big money further into the county’s electoral sphere. (Md. Matters)

Read Full Article